Wednesday 15 April 2009

Developing Flair is about effort not talent- ask Tiger Woods


Flair is, to many people, an indefinite thing. Some people have it and some people don’t. It’s often counted as innate, something that one person is born with and others are not. I don’t see it that way. If we consider what flair is, it could be defined as “having the ability to do a thing that many people find difficult in a way that seems natural." Tiger Woods- In golf, is the best player on the planet today, and some would say, ever. Let’s hear what Tiger has to say-

“It ticks me off that people talk about me as if I had been given a God-given talent. I’m sure that I do have something that I don’t own, but it also ignores the fact that I have worked harder than most of my peers for the past 20 years.”

How does the audience know how the genius got his or her talent. Often they assume that it's innate, when much more often that not, it's not. The combination of aptitude, learned skill and motivation to improve is a powerful sum. Remove anything and potential is limited but remove motivation and the whole future is lost.

So if we really want to get good at our public speaking, there's a lot we can learn from the best golfer in world.

No comments:

Post a Comment